Final Outcomes

Overall I am extremely pleased with how my project has turned out and I feel that I have definitely reached my aims of my intentions;

To create a piece of work through the exploration of natural materials and explore and experiment with various materials from the natural world such as, hay/straw, horse hair etc. and how these can be explored to create a material to then create something with.

Making the ordinary extraordinary

I have learnt a lot of new skills throughout this project that I can then go on to use for future projects and I feel a lot more confident now that I can achieve what I want.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

 

Final touch ups

Lastly to finish, when the stools are dried and solid I then just neaten them up to make them clean. I use scissors to just snip off any flyaway bits of hay on the seat and also with a hand sander, I sand down glue and hay that have dripped onto the legs.

Extra Changes.

A small change which I have now decided to do is when cutting the frame I don’t cut around the red line any more leaving gaps for the legs to be slotted into. I leave it as a solid block and drill the legs on from the top. This makes the process easier and I think stronger too.

Image

Aside

Now that I have a frame for my stool I start the process of making again. I line the bucket with cling film and then I mix up some hay and PVA together making sure that the consistency of the glue is thick and not thinned down with water and that I am using my own hay. I fill the bucket about 5 to 6cm deep first, making sure that the hay is well packed into the bucket and even throughout. Then I place the frame inside the bucket and use a spirit level to check that it is straight and level.Image

Next I add more hay and PVA to the bucket packing it all down tightly so that it becomes stronger. I keep filling until the bucket reaches half way and until the frame of the stool is covered and not in sight.

 

Image

Then I leave the stool to dry until the hay becomes solid.

Aside

Finally I put all the pieces together using a drill some screws and a hammer, checking that all the angles of the legs are the same and that the frame is level. Eventually the frame looks like this.Image

Image

Image

Aside

To make the frame I start by cutting a piece of wood using a stencil that I measured and marked out.Image

Using this template I draw onto a piece of wood and then cut out using the band saw along the line that I have marked out red.

Image

I then cut out a smaller block of wood for the second part of the frame using another template that is marked with the longer sides being 8cm long and the shorter sides 3.5cm long.

Aside

The next process is to cut the legs so that when they stand they are positioned at and angle, causing the legs to be slightly spread when the stool is standing and not straight down.Image

To work out the angle that the wood needs to be cut to, I cut a piece of wood that is the same height as the bucket and is cut to the same angle of the bucket. Using this tool I then mark out on both ends of the legs the angle so that it looks like this when cut.

Image